Houston Council of the Blind
1475 West Gray, Suite 183
Houston, Texas 77019
The Houston Council of the Blind (“HCB”) being devoted to the educational and social needs of the blind and visually impaired, is pleased to offer its Fall 2020 scholarships and the RL Bartlett Technology Scholarship (page 5).
All applicants must:
MEET THE REQUIREMENTS AND SUBMIT YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION AND ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ELECTRONICALLY NO LATER THAN AUGUST 24, 2020; and
1. Be legally blind or blind (Documentation is required certifying vision impairment by a licensed professional such as a doctor or a vocational rehabilitation counselor);
2. Reside in the greater Houston area or surrounding counties;
3. Plan to attend and be accepted for admission or enrollment at a college or vocational trade school full-time -minimum of twelve (12) hours, or be a post graduate student completing required course work in furtherance of a degree, or be a graduate student enrolled in a certified graduate program.
4. Have a cumulative GPA (high school or college) of 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale or equivalent); and
5. Submit the following supporting materials to the HCB website NO LATER THAN AUGUST 24, 2020.
• Copy of high school transcript of each high school if more than one was attended, and a copy of your acceptance letter to your college or vocational or trade school (if you have completed at least one semester of college or you are a college graduate, then you may, but do not have to, submit your high school transcripts or a college acceptance letter- please see below);
• If you have earned any college or vocational school credits already, please submit copies of your academic transcript(s) from ALL post-secondary schools attended;
• 2 letters of recommendation not more than 1 year old.
• Documentation certifying vision impairment by a licensed professional such as a doctor or a vocational rehabilitation counselor; and
• Completed Houston Council of the Blind (“HCB”) Scholarship application (enclosed) or the Robert L Bartlett scholarship application (Page 5).
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND ELECTRONICALLY SUBMITTED BY AUGUST 24, 2020.
Applicants will be considered on the basis of academic achievement, community service, financial need, and visual difficulty. All decisions will be made and recipients notified by September 4, 2020.
The scholarships will be presented during the Houston Council of the Blind meeting on September 13, 2020.
Chair of the Scholarship Committee